another question for all you mommas out there.
Before Warren got sick, he was pretty good about putting himself to sleep for nights and naps, but since he was sick, I had to help him out a little bit. Now that he's getting better, he hardly will fall asleep for the life of him without me rocking him to sleep completely. Which sometimes I don't mind doing, BUT sometimes he just fusses and fusses until I'm bouncing him hard enough that he'll fall asleep. Now I'm exhausted and can't do it all the time. I want to be able to just put him down and he learns to fall asleep. I know sometimes NO crying at all is impossible, but A LOT LESS would be grand:)
Did you guys let your babies cry it out if that happened? It's soooo hard. I'm letting him cry it out right now and it's just tugging at my lil heart strings. I want him to learn though. What do you suggest?? Or what have you done that eased up nap and nightime stress? :)
deconstructing healing
5 months ago

When you put him to bed, does he have a full tummy and dry diaper? Do you put him down for naps while he is still awake (but tired?) The "baby-wise" book has REALLY been helping Jaxson to fall asleep way better for naps and at bedtime. I have only had to let him cry for like 10 mins, once for naptime. Other than that, I just put him in his crib (still awake) and he falls right asleep. I don't remember all what was in the book Jan, but it really has helped me a lot.
ReplyDeleteWhenever Luke is getting teeth, he has a MELTDOWN every time we put him down, leave the room, well...just about anything. I always feel so bad that he is hurting, so I rock him to sleep during that time. Then regret it when he's back to normal and still expects it.
ReplyDeleteSo, I have found that if we kind of ease him out of it, it works the best. We usually start by rocking him until he is almost asleep, put him in his bed but stay there so he can see us until he falls asleep. Usually it takes one or two nights of that, and he is back to normal.
Letting him cry it out is sometimes the only option. And if he cries for more than twenty minutes or so, we go back in and like hold his hand or something but don't get him out of the crib. I think that helps him realize it's still bed time, but we are here when he needs us.
I don't know, maybe I'm way off in my parenting skills, but that's just what works for us.
LOVE
yep, ya gotta let him cry it out he will get into his old routine.. in fact I go through this with my kids every time they get sick, i have a fear of them vomiting in bed when they are sick so I bring them in my bed.. I have to break them of it every time they get better... and believe me it is worth your sanity to do so... plus putting themselves to sleep is only a gift a parent can give them.. it will get them through weird roomates in college and some day having a spouse too! think of the long run!
ReplyDeleteJust remember, all kids, and parents are different, so what works for some wont necessarily work for you. Also he is your first, and only, a little extra rocking wont hurt.....but we all need our sleep so we will be a NICE mamma too, such hard decisions, you will get it though, just in time to have another one! Viscious cycle!
ReplyDeleteMy child is the best sleeper EVER!! I owe it to my sister... She sat on the phone and talked to me while I sat outside of Dawson's room listening to him cry it out... I started with naps so I wasn't frustrated with the crying. The first time he cried about 15 minutes and 10 and 5 and from then on he just went to sleep almost immediately. I just lay him in his bed and he says night night and might talk for a bit in his bed but just goes to sleep with no problems whatsoever... just be consistent and it should work out. Give him his nap about the same time every day put him to bed about the same time every night and keep your routine consistent. When they are sick it does throw things off a bit but I agree with the comments above it is best for everyone to get them in the routine.
ReplyDelete