Monday, February 1, 2010

advice or comments needed

Ever since Warren has been home from the hospital he has slept in a bassinet RIGHT by my bed. I am now running into a problem, which can be solved, I just don't know if I want to solve it right now.

He's getting too big for his bassinet. (Now I'm sure you all will now think, "then put him in his crib") That's the problem, I CAN'T BRING MYSELF TO DO IT!!! I don't know if it's just that I'm scared to have him in a completely different room, or I'm just being selfish and want him by me all the time. ha. (I have other reasons, but they're too embarrassing to post, so I won't) But I really am having a hard time bringing myself to want to do it at night. I know it needs to happen sooner or later so that he doesn't get too dependent, but anyone else have trouble with wanting to put their baby in a completely different room at night? And if so, how did you get over it? I know if I just do it, I'll have to get over it anyway, but a little pep-talking never hurt anyone :)

11 comments:

  1. I totally hated putting my kids in their own room. I was always so worried about them. You just have to do it. Otherwise hr will be much older and still want to sleep in bed with mommy and daddy. Get a baby moniter and put it on your side of the bed. It will be just like having him next to you, kind of. (: You will soon be grateful that you moved him into his own bedroom, I promise. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel!!! It took me till Emily was 5 months before I could move her out. Now that Maddy is 4 months, I have teetered with the idea, but can't bring myself to it yet. So She is still in her little cradle next to my bed. When you are ready, a monitor is a must!!!! I turned it up loud so I could hear any type of movement till we both got used to being seperated. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sidenote about the baby monitor...the family I nanny for has one with a camera so you can not only hear the baby, but turn the camera on and see what's going on! Pretty fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were inbetween (not sure if that is a word..) moves right after i had lynley..and so our mattress was on the ground and she slept in her bobby (little pillow thing) right next to my bed..and i loved it!! i loved having her next to me all the time! BUT, then we moved. and we set up her room, and her cute crib..and i just did it. I cried. but i just knew it was time. So, i bargianed with myslef..i rocked her for along time and fed her her bottle..and then i put her in her crib, and left the door open. and i WENT INTO MY ROOM, ALONE! and guess what! it was fine! i acutally slept better, and so did she (not getting disturbed everytime one of us gets up) It was hard, but good. Good luck!! You're the mommy, you know whats best for your baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok i didn't really have a hard time moving luke out of our room. and after about a week, i ditched the monitor too.

    i promise once you do it, you'll be happy you did. I slept way better - I figured if I'm only sleeping 3 or 4 hours at a time, I want them to be good solid hours, not hours that I spend listening to his every sound.

    It's scary to do, but totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt that way with all my kids. However, once I did I realized (yes, every time) that it really wasn't that scary of a thing.

    Does he still wake up at night to eat? If so, you are going to be going in there anyway during the night. He wont be alone the whole night. I go in and check on them right before I go to bed to make sure they are breathing, warm, not covered by their blankets, etc...

    Anyway, it really is nice once you make the switch. You could even just try it for a few nights. If it's just too difficult right now than you can put him back in his bassinet until you feel more ready.

    Just know he doesn't care. It may be an adjustment for him, but he still knows you love him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so, from day 1 owen has slept in his crib in his own room, so i'm not sure if you want to hear from me or not, but i do have one thought....

    i always wanted owen to start out in his own room so he could get used to it from the beginning. but, i remember the first night home it was harder than i expected to do that. so, instead of my mom sleeping out in our family room i had her sleep in owen's room. it totally put me at ease. right away i realized that i could hear owen even though he was in a different room and he would be fine. so, my suggestion....maybe put him in his room and go sleep in his room for a night or two, just so you can picture where he is, how he sleeps in his crib, etc....? i'm totally making this up, but maybe it would help? or maybe seth could sleep in his room for a night so you can see that you'll be fine with him there and you in your room...? again, i don't know, but just a suggestion. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I totally had a hard time with this as well. Chad was all for getting him out of our room as soon as possible so I had no sympathy from him... I moved Dawson out of our room at about one month. I think that the monitor is amazing I still sleep with my monitor right next to my bed so I can hear everything. The other thing that might help is to slowly move his bassinet further and further away each night until he is in his room... that will give you some time to get use to the idea... I used to wake up and check on him all the time but that didn't last too long. Now I just make sure to pray for his safety every night and I do not wake up unless he's totally crying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I put Hinder in his own room after about a week. It was the best thing for us. I needed the space, and he needed the space.
    BUT do what works for you! If you sleep better with him near you, then keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. after two weeks we had to put Abby in her own room because we slept better and so did she. She LOVED transitioning to her crib at about 2 months, but I was pretty psycho about checking on her. I'm fine now (obv. it's been some time), but another option you have is a co-sleeper. They pull up right next to the bed and they are the"in-between" crib and basinette solution. I think they are a great invention because then the baby is near you but in their own bed and easy to nurse at night.

    ReplyDelete
  11. With the first 2 girls the bassenet I had was smaller and they grew out of it really fast like Warren has,and then I got this new one that rocks and looks just like a cradle and it goes by the side of my bed and is way bigger than my other one and I love it! I think I ended up moving my last baby out when she around 5 months, I think it's a personal thing so don't feel bad about whatever you choose...it will all work out either way! I think you get better sleep once they are out of your room, I still waited until they were all about 5 months (plus I had all my kids so close together and there was always one that I would have to more out of the crib into a toddler bed so I could put the baby in there!) I love having my baby close to me too!:)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by :)