Wednesday, October 7, 2009

calling all (previously & currently) pregnant mommies

WHERE DO YOU POSITION PILLOWS TO GET THE MOST COMFORT?!?!?

My back kills. Most all the time. Especially when I sleep on my left side, which is what you're supposed to do. Seth tried to position a pillow under me to hold up what needed support and tried to explain to me that that's where my spine wasn't straight. I'm sure he's right, but it just didn't do the trick at the moment and it's probably because I wanted instant relief. I'll take any suggestions of what you guys do to help with the back pain. I've tried the pillow between the legs, (it get's too hot & drives me crazy) I've tried putting it just right under my belly, but it never seems to stay put. So sometimes I end up sleeping on my back for a short period to try to relieve. I'm willing to try all suggestions, even if you've never been pregnant ;).....

12 comments:

  1. I remember I would lay half on my belly half on my left side, with my left leg strait and my right leg laying over the pillow ,that was the most comfortable I could get, although the closer you get to the end, the less comfortable you get, so napping sometimes can help (I swear I sleep better in the day time). I know there are excersizes you can do to strengthen your back muscles to help, pelvic lifts and getting on your hand and knees to and arching and curving your back, I would google it and talk to your doctor, they usually can help.. good luck and remember, it is totally worth it, and yes sleeping gets even harder once the baby is here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay so I am not quite sure if this would even help...and I have no idea either since I have never been prego...BUT maybe you should try getting one of those body pillows (they sale them at costco or bed bath and beyond) and the are SO comfy and huge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always would put a pillow right behind my back and still laying partialy on my side but leaning back on the pillow especially when you cant stand it on your side anymore, so you arent totally on your back, but mostly, does that make sense, you must be getting close, you have to get real misserable being pregnant to want to go through delivery....thats what I think anyway! You make a pretty cute prego lady though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really have any suggestions to relieve your back pain... but I just had to tell you that you are one of the cutest pregnant girls I have ever seen! (And I work at a OB clinic so I see a lot of 'em ;))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for all the back pain! But I promise that it will be over soon! Then you'll be able to sleep in any position you want without pain! Hold out!! I've heard that some women like the full body pillows. I've never tried it... so maybe that might give you more support all over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sometimes prop a whole bunch of pillows under my back and sorta sleep sitting up-ish.... If that makes sense. Good luck, Sorry you're sore!!!! You look awesome tho!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ugh...i understand the pain and dilemma....ryan always props pillows all around me when we go to bed. for me, they are more just to keep me on my side during the night. i agree with Catherine and Countrylovin's comments....I kind of try both of those and find a little relief sometimes. Honestly though, sometimes sleeping on my side puts me in more pain. Sometimes I feel like I'd rather just stay up because it hurts....sorry I'm not much help. I was coming to your comments to see if I could find some answers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my suggestion is make seth give you a back rub right before bed. tyler tries to offer every night, which is just so sweet. he heats up my hot pack and rubs the sore spots for 10 minutes or so. tell seth that really helps.

    also, i toss and turn all night. sometimes i fold up the blanket under my belly or part of a pillow, but it seems like i am too big now to roll over in my sleep. i think my body has to wake up and all effort is put in to changing positions. as long as i get up to pee once or twice and then reposition a number of other times i feel better. i don't feel like i get the most restful sleep, but my back has been hurting less the last month or so (although i think its going to start getting worse again).

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I slept with a body pillow between my legs and then I had a pillow positioned under my belly (kind of) and then I held the rest of it in my arms. I also had a pillow behind me and sometimes I would make Danny lay really close to me so I could roll back a little and put my weight on him. Every now and then I would roll onto my right side for just a little bit to get some relief. It seemed like the last month or few weeks, I hated night time because I selpt so crappy. But it's all worth it in the end!!! I was just telling Danny that it's been over a year since I have been able to sleep through the WHOLE night. Sad Day!!! Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. JAN ... so how do you get the blogs you follow on the side to be listed as an orange blogger sign and it says how recently their updated their blog? mine is just a friends list, and i have to click on each one to see who has updated it.

    p.s. you look great! i am so excited for you and baby Ellsworth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry Janica! It's so defeating to be absolutely exhausted at the end of the day and then not be able to get the sleep you need because you are so uncomfortable in bed! Besides the pillow under my head, I used a firm pillow shoved into my back so I could lean back on it a little, a soft pillow that I hugged and went under the top of my belly (I carried my babies really low), and a soft pillow between my legs. Good thing we have a King size bed! Hang in there, that sweet baby will be worth every pain!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've found that if I sleep on the couch I feel much better. For some reason it lets my hips sink into the crack between the cushions and the back of the couch, and my belly rests on the outside of the cushion. Kind of a pain not sleeping in my own bed, but Helaman's a sport and sleeps on the floor next to me. Sometimes I take a heating pad and put it on my back right before I fall asleep so that it is relaxed, and I'll sleep for a couple hours before I wake up and have to do it again. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by :)